linky do's!

Friday, July 23, 2010

my fair lady

as summer starts winding down my knitting is heating up.  i am finishing up projects for exhibition at fair.

two years ago i exhibited a pair of socks, a baby kimono sweater, a felted lucy purse, a pillow, joey ramone and a sunflower dishcloth at the bloom fair.  i won 4 ribbons, 1 blue, 2 red and a white, and about $5 in prize money.  it was so exciting to see my knitting on display, and to see other knitters' projects too.

last year i was too great with children to enter any fairs (my knitting mojo was absolutely wiped, i was lucky to eek out the few pairs of socks, booties and blankets during those months) and it took a while to find the time (and energy) to knit again.  it wasn't until this winter and spring that i hit my stride and really cranked out the knits (ravelympics helped too).

the fun of fair knitting is planning the projects.  i did well with socks (red ribbon) and i definitely wanted to enter another pair.  lucy won the blue ribbon, but i haven't the desire to knit another purse.  i wanted to knit a baby surprise jacket but don't have the time to sit and really pay attention to the pattern, so that's out (for the time being).  my christmas tree skirt is definitely being entered (that makes up for the pillow).  i toyed (no pun intended) on entering either freddie beans or a sock monkey, but i'm not sure they're good enough to enter.  freddie probably has a better shot at a ribbon since i payed a lot of attention to attaching his parts.  no dishcloths, except for the heart shaped rag, but i wouldn't call it fair worthy.

i started knitting the blue jeans from mason dixon, but i need time to concentrate on them, so i won't have them done in time.  i'm slowly working on belinda, and i suppose if i lit a fire under me i could get it completed in time.  i haven't touched swirl in months - that's another one that requires a lot of concentration (for me anyway) but maybe next year it could be a contender.

i plan on entering the bloomsburg fair and the northumberland county fair.  entering the bloom fair is easy.  finding the premium book information for norry fair is a bit tricky.  the website comes up with no links.  i asked my knitting teacher, as she judges the projects, and she didn't have any information either. there is a phone number for me to call - some day i'll find a minute and find out what i need.

norry fair threw a bit of a wrinkle in my fair knitting.  my teacher is a judge, and she is familiar with my work.  so now i'm cramming in a pair of jaywalkers, and as soon as i get the yarn, the clapotis.  she hasn't seen either project, so i think that's fair.  she's seen my tree skirt, monkeys and itbtbab, and i want to win fairly (no pun intended!)

so the heat is on (in more ways than one!) to finish up my projects.

do you exhibit your projects at fairs or festivals?

1 comment:

Comments? Questions? Feel free drop me a line!