linky do's!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

this woman's work

this post is over a year old. i'm cleaning up my blog and found this. enjoy!



i got a surprise on saturday - my in laws gave me auntie grizelda's knitting basket. apparently she was a knitter. it was a rather sad parcel. just some skeins of yarn, mismatched needles, and a few WIPs. to wit:

her basket, after i tidied it up a bit...

100_0475


her yarns...the blue skein was from woolworth's and cost $1.98. i never heard of the other brands. all acrylic yarns, all old and feeling dusty.

100_0469


her needles, mostly 10s, with a pair of 3s and 6s. all susan bates with one pair of boye's.

100_0474


her gear - darning needles, stitch markers, odd ends of yarn, including a busted spoon (?). she used to be a nurse which is why she had a hemostat.

100_0471

her patterns for tv socks. note the large print. she was almost blind.

100_0472

her WIPs. she had 3 tv socks. i have no idear what's on the needles. it's in garter stitch and it's very tight. maybe another pair of socks.


100_0473
100_0470

it's sad to see that this is what's left of a knitter at the end of her life. just some needles, old yarn, a few WIPs. i wonder if this is what my knitting stash will look like at the end of my life. someday someone will go through my stash, my rolls and jars of needles, my bag of knitting gear, my folders and books of patterns, and maybe a WIP or two (maybe even the sweater that languishes in the bottom of my bag...) i wonder what that person will think of me. i wonder what will happen to my stash and gear. i just wonder.

auntie's needles will join my needles that stand at attention in an old crock. the yarn will be used to make an afghan at church (maybe even a log cabin?) the basket will hold my stash (it is an attractive basket...) i'm not sure what to do with her WIPs. maybe follow her sock pattern and make another sock so i'll have 2 pairs of socks instead of one and a half. frog the purple WIP and recycle the yarn? it almost feels sacreligious to touch the WIPs. they are another woman's work.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is really interesting. It really makes one think. Great post.

    I think those are surgical scissors. Hemostats are like forceps, aren't they? My mother is an RN too and we use surgical scissors for things like cutting yarn too. Strange. They were like craft scissors in our house.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Feel free drop me a line!