linky do's!

Saturday, April 7, 2012

let's get physical

i joined planet fitness and use the treadmill a few times a week.  i plug in my iPhone and groove to songs from a workout playlist that i made up.  it takes about 6 songs to get through a half hour on the treadmill.  i average 2.5-3 mph on it, moving the speed up and down in accordance to the beat of the music.  i once jogged during the "aerobics" bridge in MGMT's "kids" that nearly gave me an asthma attack.  i tried the recumbent bike and the elliptical but the bike hurt my knees and the elliptical tightened my thigh muscle like a drum.

as much as i hate exercise and walking, i enjoy going to the gym.  i like being able to go there at 7 in the morning (or whenever i wake up).  i like pushing my limit.  last week it took me 27 minutes to walk a mile - can i walk it in 25?  last time i listened to 5 songs before getting winded - can i stretch it to 6?  goofy little goals, but i'm seeing results.  my legs feel stronger and harder, and my clothes fit a little looser.  i have a loooooong ways to go, but it's a start.  i'm working harder than when i swam.  my mood are better too.

the gym also has weights apparatuses but i haven't had the nerve to try any of them out.  maybe someday, after a walk on the treadmill, i'll try the 30 minute workout, or the 12 minute abs.

one unexpected result of exercising is that my blood sugars have gone through the roof.  when i swam, my bg often dropped several points.  now they average 20 to 30 points higher.  my feet, which had some tingling and pricking from the pn, now burn and pick like the fire of a thousand suns.  my feet used to just bother me in the evenings;  now they hurt and prickle and burn all.day.long.  they disrupt my sleep and i could just climb out of my skin becos of it.  apparently this is common when starting a new, relatively strenuous activity - the body confuses exercise with stress and floods the body with sugar for energy.  i'm hoping that as my exercise activity increases, my sugars eventually drop.  this development frustrates me.  i'm exercising to fix my sugars, and if anything, it's making it worse.  bugger.

here are some of the songs that inspire me when i work out:

kids by MGMT
half light by low (from the mothman prophecies soundtrack)
celebrity skin by hole
connected by stereo mc's
move any mountain by the shamen
blood makes noise by suzanne vega
that's not my name by the ting tings
ray of light by madonna
set adrift on memory bliss by pm dawn
closer (the filthy version!) by nine inch nails

i have loads more songs on my workout playlist - hopefully i can share more of them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Feel free drop me a line!