linky do's!

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Hai.

It's been a long time since I've written here, and I thought maybe writing would help me work out some things that have been on my mind. 

A lot of things have happened in the past 18 months. Firstly, the kiddos started school full time and currently are in the first grade. Freddie enjoys school and does pretty well. Petunia is struggling. She's a whiz at math but has a hard time with reading. It's hard for me to watch her struggle as I've always loved reading and am a huge bookworm. Both she and Freddie are getting extra help for it but I hate to see her struggle. 

The Boy is in sixth grade and preparing for junior high next year. He's learning to play the drums and recently started phase 2 of his braces. He's a great kid, doing really well in his classes. He has his moments but he is almost a teenager so it's normal. 

Hubby is hubby, still working for the Man and bringing home the bacon. He lost over 50 pounds over the past year by walking 10,000 steps a day and eating a very low carb/high protein diet. His blood sugars dropped nearly 100 points  and his cholesterol improved. I'm so proud that he is paying attention to staying healthy. 

Then there's me. Health wise nothing's new - my diabetes is controlled although it could be much better. Hubby has taken over cooking duties of late to accommodate his diet and my eating habits have improved as a result. I still love my pasta but I don't eat it as often. Some foods turn me right off! I still go to the gym, not as often as I'd like, but I still do the weight machines and added the recumbent bike to my workout. I went down a pant size! The weight loss is slow and hard for me as PCOS makes things a challenge but I am trying to be mindful and listen to my body to figure out its needs. 

A broken toe (plus surgery for it), a uterine ablation and a badly sprained ankle didn't help with my gym goals. Coupled with crap sleep and over active brain weasels some days are an effort to have any spoons.  

I hadn't been knitting for a while. I often went to knit night with little progress from one week to the next. Last year I completed 12 projects, a disappointment for me as I had so many things to knit and no spoons to complete them. I made a goal for this year to knit every day, even if it was only a couple of rows, and to complete at least one project a month. So far I made a hat and a pair of mitts in January, no projects for February but I'll be finishing a shawl this weekend (hopefully!) and am well through another shawl project and a cowl. I participated in a MKAL which helped as it gave me goals to knit each week. Hopefully this means I have my knitting mojo back!


Of course with the good days there are bad days. My SiL is getting divorced. The situation blindsided all of us (SiL included). 

Lastly, my FiL died suddenly after thanksgiving. He had a cardiac event while he was driving home from a meeting. Thankfully no one else was injured. I am still trying to process his passing. Most days I'm ok until something reminds me that he is gone.  I think deep down I am depressed as I spend most of my days sleeping, watching crap tv or playing solitaire on my iPad. Some days it is an effort to get up. This was another reason I wanted to get back to knitting as I needed something g to soothe my broken heart. 

I worry about hubby as he has taken over as the male head of the family. He helps his mom a lot and I know he worries a lot about his sister, the kids and me.  I worry that the extra stress will hurt him. But I cannot allow the worries and what-ifs take over my thoughts so I support him the best that I can. And I pray that our family will find peace and strength.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your health improves for your gym goals. I had a huge flare last year and it really put a wrench in my exercising and unfortunately my knitting!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Questions? Feel free drop me a line!